Last week, more than 1,000 business and civic leaders from across our region gathered to celebrate the start of the Seattle Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce’s 135th year. While the Seattle metro area has seen a lot of change over the years, the Chamber’s commitment to advancing our region’s prosperity remains as strong as ever.
Over the past year, we’ve successfully:
- Achieved a statewide paid family leave solution through proactive engagement with state legislators from both sides of the aisle,
- Amplified small business support for upzones that will help increase housing supply in our city and direct growth in a smart, intentional way,
- Had 13,000 business community members participate in the Chamber’s events and programs, including over 1,000 young professionals.
- Continued to expand our 100% Talent gender equity initiative in partnership with the Women’s Funding Alliance,
- Continued our work on the Seattle Region Partnership to advance local middle-income jobs,
- Grown partnerships with 35 neighborhood and ethnic chambers of commerce around the region.
This year’s Annual Meeting, themed “Local Talent, Global Future,” focused on the tremendous opportunity facing our local workforce and businesses alike. Data shows that our region will see an increase of 740,000 job openings between 2016 and 2021, the vast majority of which are mid-and higher-level jobs with prospects for upward mobility. Local leaders shared how steering more people from our region toward these stable, rewarding careers is good for business and good for our community.
Highlights of the event included:
- Welcome remarks from Mayor Tim Burgess and King County Executive Dow Constantine,
- Performance by Northwest Tap Connection, presented by our partners STG
- A “State of the Chamber” conversation reflecting on achievements last year and looking ahead, with outgoing chair Brad Tilden, Chairman and CEO of Alaska Air Group, and incoming chair Heather Redman, Co-Founder and Managing Partner at Flying Fish Partners,
- The keynote address by Kevin McAllister, Executive Vice President at The Boeing Company, President and CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes.
For a more in-depth view, watch the video via Seattle Channel.
Thank you again to our 135th Annual Meeting sponsors for helping to make the event such a success!
Thanks to our presenting sponsor:
Thanks to our featured sponsors:
Thanks to our event sponsors: