Dear Seattle Metro Chamber Members:
On behalf of our board of trustees and staff, thank you for your partnership in making 2018 one of the best years yet for the Seattle Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce.
We've shared in major successes such as:
- Growing to 2,400 member employers, representing a regional workforce of 750,000 people;
- Launching Elevate NW, a new half-day conference tailored to support small and mid-size businesses, who make up 80 percent of our membership;
- Adding business retention and expansion to our portfolio of services, with a focus on key sectors such as aerospace, tech, life sciences, and manufacturing;
- Investing in our students from pre-K to college through Seattle's education levy, which passed with 68 percent of the vote; and
- Holding the Seattle City Council accountable for spending the city's abundant resources, resulting in a 7-2 vote to repeal the head tax;
- Providing health insurance coverage for 18,000 people in the region through the Business Health Trust.
We have a lot to be proud of. As the Seattle Times noted in its coverage of our Annual Meeting in September, there is a wave of positivity and optimism in our business community.
Next year will bring significant opportunities for us to demonstrate regional leadership. Working together, we can build on this year’s momentum to:
- Expand CASE, our political action committee, to elect leaders to Seattle City Council who understand why vibrant business and a thriving community go hand-in-hand;
- Define our role on key issues such as housing affordability, affirmative action, transportation and workforce development; and
- Improve the narrative about business by helping more people throughout our community get to know you – the people behind the brands and employers.
Thank you for your continued partnership and for your commitment to making our economy more inclusive. Happy holidays and best wishes for good start to the new year.
President & CEO
Seattle Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce